You may have a sense that your content is not doing what you want it to do for your business. On the other hand, you may not realize it at all. If either scenario is accurate for you, there are tips that can help you to improve the situation.
Evaluating whether your content is engaging
The first thing that you need to do (absolutely before anything else) after you have identified your target audience is to evaluate the content that you have. If you read your content and you find it to be engaging, it will also be engaging for your readers. Of course, it goes without saying that if your reader finds your content engaging, that person will have the desire to keep reading. The more he or she reads, the stronger your relationship will be (eventually).
On the other hand, if you read your content and you find it boring and dry, you have some work to do to change that situation. The fact is that the Internet has loads of content that is not in the least engaging. The last thing that you want or need is for your content to be part of that particular crowd.
At this point, you may be wondering how you are going to manage to create content that is engaging for your audience. Well, one thing that is for sure is the fact that you can’t merely make promises to your target audience members. You need to give them something real and concrete.
An important thing to remember is that whatever advice you feel you want to give to your readers, you should try it out first on your own website. That way, you will be certain that it works. You may want to try out the following:
- Tried and true statements: On your journey to find what works well for your content (and for your business), you should formulate some simple, clear, concise statements that you are completely sure will work (as far as advice goes). Those statements will become part of your branding and your target audience members will begin to associate you with those particular statements. You will find that repeating those statements frequently is very effective and other people will remember those words. You can also inject wise little pearls of wisdom and bits of humor. Both of those are generally very memorable for the other person.
- Suspend the grammatical rules: As important as it is to use proper English in your content, when it comes to engaging your target audience members, there are times when it is perfectly appropriate to suspend the grammar for the sake of the effect that it will have on your readers. You will want to use content that grabs your reader’s attention. Fragment of sentences are the way to go in such a situation.
- Demonstrate just how human you are through your content: As is always the case (100% of the time), you will get nowhere if you can’t establish an emotional (human) connection with your readers. Relationships cannot exist without it. If you find a way to allow your reader to connect with you on a human level, you will be in good with that person and he or she will be engaged by what you are saying and what you are trying to do. That means that you should show just how vulnerable you can be and how imperfect you can be (just like all human beings).
- Curate some of the content: There is no question that you are creative and fully capable of writing amazingly effective, engaging content. However, there is nothing wrong with recognizing other people’s brilliant words as well. You should take advantage of the brilliance when the situation fits. Of course, that is not a license to plagiarize. Always give credit where credit is due. Additionally, mixing up the content will keep it fresh and engaging for your target audience members.
- Add a graphic element: Many people absorb information that they read but many other people are visual and a graphic element serves them very well. When it comes to writing your content, you should do whatever you can to engage all of your readers, not just a percentage of them. Images often make a tremendously positive impact on the reader and that person will respond very positively and continue to pursue a connection with you.
Undoubtedly, engaging your readers is at the top of your priority list. If you can’t manage to engage them, you are finished before you begin. Make sure to choose topics and write content that resonates with your target audience members a great deal. If you follow the tips that have been mentioned here, you will begin to see a positive change in the reaction that your readers have to your content. Start engaging. The results will be amazing!